Journal of Cultural Economics Special Issue “The Economics of Filmed Entertainment in the Digital Era”
At the 20th Mallen Conference in Babelberg, Germany, film industry scholars Olav Sorenson, S. Abraham (Avri) Ravid and Thorsten Hennig-Thurau set off on a journey — to have the best scientists of our discipline analyze the state-of-the-art of filmed entertainment, with the support of engaged industry experts.
After two and a half years and after several rounds of reviews involving contributions from many others film scholars, the work has been published as a special issue of the prestigious Journal of Cultural Economics. The special issue contains five articles about all stages of value creation of the movie business in the digital age, from production and theatrical distribution to streaming. Also included is an introduction article by the three editors and Mallen leaders, in which they have summarized their learnings from this journey (it’s open access, thanks to the generous support from Olav’s UCLA). The special issue is dedicated to Bruce Mallen.
The articles can be accessed here:
- The Economics of Filmed Entertainment in the Digital Era by Thorsten Hennig-Thurau, S. Abraham Ravid & Olav Sorenson (OPEN ACCESS)
- Leveraging analytics to produce compelling and profitable film content by Ronny Behrens, Natasha Zhang Foutz, Michael Franklin, Jannis Funk, Fernanda Gutierrez-Navratil, Julian Hofmann & Ulrike Leibfried
- Hollywood studio filmmaking in the age of Netflix: a tale of two institutional logics by Allègre L. Hadida, Joseph Lampel, W. David Walls & Amit Joshi (OPEN ACCESS)
- Technological change and managerial challenges in the movie theater industry by Charles B. Weinberg, Cord Otten, Barak Orbach, Jordi McKenzie, Ricard Gil, Darlene C. Chisholm & Suman Basuroy
- What does it take to survive in a digital world? Resource-based theory and strategic change in the TV industry by Ricarda Schauerte, Stéphanie Feiereisen & Alan J. Malter
- Content valuation strategies for digital subscription platforms by Raoul Kübler, Rouven Seifert & Michael Kandziora (OPEN ACCESS)
Enjoy the read!